Thursday, August 11, 2016

It has been 4 years since Bentley had his FHO surgeries

Bentley update:

It has been 4 years since Bentley had both of his FHO surgeries. I am happy to report that our Bentley is doing great! 

He is hunting every day for his favorite thing lizards! He runs, jumps, climbs with little or no effort. Bentley will be 6 years old this year and besides the odd hairball here and there…he has no other issues. 

Since Bentley is a pedigree Maine Coon, we took him to have another visit with his Cardiologist to see if there had been any changes within his heart from 2 years prior.
Good news is...all is well with Bentley’s heart too!  He does not have HCM a Maine Coon Cat Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy (HCM), which was another big concern of ours.

Even though I don’t post as often, I still read every new post or comment left here and I promise that I will continue to answer any of your questions! 

I am so happy that something so sad turned into something good by creating this Blog! 

Best regards 


Barbara and Bentley

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this blog. I truly had no idea what to expect after this surgery in regards to the recovery process. Our house panther Vader had FHO surgery on his right hip due to a traumatic dislocation 3 weeks ago. He's handled the entire event very well. We aren't sure what happened to cause the original dislocation, but I found him outside in an odd place and he wouldn't come when I called. I went to him, picked him up and carried him inside thinking he was just being stubborn. I put him in his cat bed and he immediately curled up and went to sleep. I didn't even know anything was wrong with him until I saw him walking to the food bowl later. His entire right side was just deformed looking. We went to the vet the next morning and x-rays revealed the dislocation. No fractures, breaks or chips, but a severe luxation of the hip joint. The vet replaced his hip joint and put him on a mild sedative for 5 days in hopes that the joint would heal and hold on its own. It didn't. Not uncommon in cats as they have incredibly shallow hip sockets. So far he has only growled three times... once when his sibling cat tried to sniff his stitches... once when he got in an awkward position on the bed... and once when I was squirting Buprenex down his throat. At 3 weeks out I think he's doing wonderfully. His appetite never really wavered although during that first week of takung drugs and waiting he did loose a lot of weight. Hes already getting back in shape though. He's using stepping stools and blocks to get up on couches and beds and has only tried to jump once and realized that was a bad idea. He does have a very pronounced limp and tends to avoid bearing much weight on his right side. But, he's very interested in playtime, snuggles and following me around everywhere.I'm very optimistic about his recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carrie

    It sounds like Vader made it through the worse of it and is well on his way to a complete recovery. Give him time and he will be back to his old tricks.The recovery with this surgery is long but you will see a difference in him as every week passes.
    Best wishes and ((hugs)) to Vader

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barbara,

    Thank you so much for this blog! My best friend, Coco, will be getting bilateral FHO surgery tomorrow. If it weren't for this blog, I don't know that I would have made the right decision for her.

    Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather

      I am so glad that you are going ahead with the surgery. You won't regret it I promise. It is rough first but the animals know best how far they can go and what they can't and can do. Coco will be fine and like new in time.

      Reading that we helped another little soul with blog is the most wonderful Christmas present to me.

      Merry Christmas to you too!

      PS: If you can find the time...please post an update...it would be much appreciated.

      Barbara

      Delete
  4. Walter Bentley began planning and assembling motors for the well known Sopwith camel plane. car dealerships near me

    ReplyDelete